E-Juice Label Compliance: 4 Tips to Keep Your Labels in Line with the FDA
Include the Right Warnings
Your product must include the following warning to comply with FDA guidelines:
- “WARNING: This product contains nicotine. Nicotine is an addictive chemical.”
Please note that the warning you place on your labels should completely match the FDA’s message, down to the capitalization and punctuation. That’s not the only stipulation, either. There are several requirements for this warning.
- The warning must be located in a “conspicuous and prominent” place on both principal display panels on your package
- Make up at least 30 percent of the space on each panel
- Be printed in at least 12-point font size in either Helvetica or Arial bold type or another similar sans serif font
- Use either black text on a white background or white text on a black background so the warning contrasts with the other printed material on the package
Another potential issue is that some e-juice containers are quite small. If your package is too small to include the warning statement, the FDA will require you to find a way to do so, even if it means adding an outer container like a box or a wrapper that can feature the warning.
Add Key Product Details
A warning isn’t the only text required on e-juice labels. Like labels for food, the FDA also stipulates that e-juice labels must include other important information as well. These include the following:
- The name and address of the manufacturer, packer, or distributor
- The weight, measure, or numerical count of the contents of a container
- The percentage of both domestically and foreign-grown tobacco used in the product
- The following statement: “Sale only allowed in the United States”
Don’t Appeal to Children
The FDA isn’t kidding around when it comes to protecting children from nicotine and tobacco products. The FDA and the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) sent out official warning letters to e-juice and e-cigarette companies back in 2018 about “labeling and/or advertising that cause [products] to resemble kid-friendly food products, such as juice boxes, candy or cookies, some of them with cartoon-like imagery.”
What the FDA considers as “marketing to children” can vary. Labels made to appear to like beverages or candies for children are considered misleading, with some examples of children even drinking e-juice because of the practice. Product names drawn from recognizable brands or treats are also in danger of drawing the FDA’s attention. Some examples of past offending products include:
- “One Mad Hit Juice Box”
- “Vape Heads Sour Smurf Sauce”
- “V’Nilla Cookies & Milk”
- “Whip’d Strawberry”
- “Twirly Pop”
Even if your labels are currently compliant, it only takes one change to cause future packaging problems. Outdated labels do nothing but hurt your wallet and put you at risk for non-compliance. Fortunately, digital label printing can help you be ready for any necessary label changes.
If you ever need to update your warnings, ingredients, or other information, variable data printing allows you to use technology to manage your various SKUs. This means a single design layout and a variable data spreadsheet allows you to update sections of your labels when FDA regulations change instead of updating every single label design. Digital label printing also allows you to order smaller quantities so you don’t have to commit to a massive order that may burn you in the future when label regulations change.
Stay Compliant with the Right Label Printing Company
Compliance is only one part of the packaging puzzle. The look and performance of your labels play critical roles in the success of your product. For those, you’ll need the right label printing partner to help bring your e-juice labels to life.
At Blue Label, we have the experience and equipment to print the perfect labels for your products. We work directly with you to make sure your e-juice labels are right for your needs and compliance requirements. Contact Blue Label today to talk to us about printing e-juice labels for your products.